The Center for Special Surgery offers a world class surgical experience at a convenient location in San Antonio, Texas. At The Center you will find some of the finest, most respected surgeons and staff in the region. The Center has the newest, most modern facility in the region with no parking hassles, and you don't have to worry about a complicated maze of hospital buildings.
We specialize in same-day surgical procedures and care for a wide variety of medical conditions including:
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Hand Surgery
- Ear, Nose and Throat
- Plastic Surgery
If outpatient surgery is in your future, the only place to consider is The Center for Special Surgery.
Same Day Surgery Information
Before Your Surgery
- Notify your surgeon if there is a change in your physical condition, i.e. cold, fever, etc...
- Make arrangements for a family member or friend to accompany you to and from the The Center for Special Surgery.
- Prior to your procedure discuss with your surgeon any use of blood-thinner type medications (i.e. Coumadin, Plavix, Asprin, etc.).
- Please bring appropriate cases for eyeglasses and contact lenses. They may not be worn during surgery.
- Have all your necessary papers or files from your doctor's office sent to us.
- Bring all applicable insurance information and cards.
- Get directions to The Center for Special Surgery.
- Review our information for patients and visitors and bring all completed and signed documents with you.
- It is imperative that you have no food or drink - even water - after midnight prior to your surgery.
Day of Your Surgery
- A family member or friend must accompany you to and from the The Center for Special Surgery. You may not drive for 24 hours after surgery.
- Bathe or shower with an antibacterial soap such as Dial or Lever Antibacterial prior to coming to the The Center for Special Surgery.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothes that are easy to get into after your surgery.
- Leave all valuables at home. We cannot be responsible for lost or damaged personal belongings.
- If having a facial procedure, please remove all make-up.
- Bring a list of all medications that you take on a daily basis.
- Closely follow your doctor's instructions.
- If you have any questions about your surgery, please call your personal physician for details.
After Your Surgery
- Your condition will be closely monitored by The Center for Special Surgery staff for an average 1-2 hours (potentially longer depending on surgery).
- You will stay in the recovery area until your physician or anesthesiologist believes you are ready to be discharged.
- Your go-home instructions will be discussed with you and your family member by our discharge nurse. You will receive a written copy of them.
- Make sure you are not home alone for the initial 24-hour period after surgery.
- Do not sign any contracts or serious legal documents for 24 hours after the surgery.
- Do not drive for a minimum of 24 hours after the surgery and follow all instructions on your prescriptions.
- Please return the patient questionnaire. We appreciate hearing from you!
- Talk with your child about the upcoming procedure.
- Let your child know that you will be there for them during recovery.
- Allow your child to bring their favorite blanket, doll or toy.
- Have one adult drive and another adult tend to the child on the way home.